Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Captain's Log, Day 18: What is Love?

Date: June 9, 2020

Time of post: 5:55 AM
Quarantine Day: 76
Last Song I Listened To: “Sit Still, Look Pretty" by Daya
Last Person I Communicated With: I sent a snapchat that no one has responded to yet, lol
Last Thing I Ate: sugar-free caramel candy
Last Thing I Read: fanfic…again
Current Mood: reflective
One Thing I’ve Accomplished Today: glued my “grow” wall hanging back together after it fell and broke
One Thing I Want To Accomplish Today: do my dishes
One Reason I’m Stressed Today: the world is a dumpster fire
One Reason I’m Happy Today: Mikayla and Tyler are coming back from Dallas this week!

Dear Apocalypsers,

I’ve been thinking a lot about love lately. I know, who thinks about love when the world is full of so much pain right now?

I think it’s a coping mechanism. Right now, when there is so much fear and uncertainty and hate and violence and injustice, finding a few minutes of love and happiness in a day feels like a big middle finger to a cruel universe that seems to want us to be miserable.

And, I really hate being told what to do, so my survival mode is now “happy out of spite.” It’s not a perfect defense. It’s sometimes difficult to keep up. It’s sometimes exhausting. But I’d hate to think what I’d become if I didn’t have it.

“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.” –Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers



I agree with Sam, but I’m always willing to recognize that we, as Americans and human beings, tend to romanticize “the struggle.” The American Revolution is painted as this miraculous “David vs. Goliath” story that led to our freedom from an oppressive government, but we don’t want to think about what that was actually like. The weeks or months without bathing, sweating and marching in suffocating summer heat, covered in blood, mud, wounds, and God-knows-what else; dying from frostbite in the winter because the militias didn’t have proper clothing or equipment; starvation and dehydration. And the World Wars? We love to make those sound like a sepia-colored romance. Sure, the soldier protagonist might watch his buddies die, but he always makes it home. He always gets the girl. And the U.S. always wins—because that’s history. We don’t like to think about the families of our protagonist’s friends who died. We don’t like to think about the families of the people he killed—and they weren’t all monsters, you know.

One of my favorite poems is “Dulce et Decorum est” by Wilfred Owen. He wrote it about his experience as a soldier in WWI. I’ll give you fair warning, it’s hard to read, but it ends with the lines “My friend, you would not tell with such high zest / To children ardent for some desperate glory, / The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est / Pro patria mori.” (Those Latin lines translate to “It is sweet and fitting / to die for one’s country.)

I think about this poem a lot. Owen understood 100 years ago that we glorify war. We romanticize a lot of things. Especially history. The pessimistic reading of all this would be that humans are foolish and selfish and that winners write history, so why would they care what it took to win? The more realist reading might be that nationalist victory stories sell, and a sad patriotic film or book won’t be as successful as something with some kind of at least hopeful ending. The optimistic reading is that we want to believe everything will be happy in the end; we want all of the suffering to be worth it. I realize that I’m privileged enough to see the world through the third lens. Not everyone has been able to take that approach.

And I always wonder what that “good” is that Sam talks about. What makes humans willing to undergo that suffering? What do we fight for?

I’m probably over-generalizing here, but I think it’s some kind of intersection between love, hope, and happiness. That’s what I would fight for, anyway.

I’ve love love in all its forms. I say “in all its forms,” because I’ve never been in romantic love. Still, when I can’t fall asleep at night, I plan weddings to calm myself down. My Pinterest account is 80% themed weddings, 10% quotes, and 5% nurseries. If I had a do-over in life, I’d be a wedding planner or open a bridal shop. And I’ve always loved love. I still remember the first couple I ever “shipped” (long before Tumblr coined the phrase.) They were two 6th grade classmates who nervously held hands for a couple weeks and “broke up.” They’re now both married to other people, but at the time, I fully believed they would marry each other. I didn’t really understand love then.

Please enjoy my themed wedding boards. From L: engagement rings, a Broadway-themed wedding, a zoo wedding, a hipster wedding, a LOTR nursery, a Harry Potter Wedding, a Doctor Who wedding, and a LOTR wedding.


I guess you could say that I don’t really understand love now, either, if my notebooks full of crossed out “Mr. and Mrs. ____”/ “Mr. and Mr. _____” / “Mrs. and Mrs. _____” are any indication. I’d say that love disappoints me about 98% of the time, seeing as only two real-life couples that I’ve shipped have gotten married. (Shout out to Katelyn & Griffin and Hollie & Daniel!) And, as someone who hates unnecessary risk, I really should look at those numbers and accept that I shouldn’t be as invested in love as I am.


Me with the new Katelyn & Griffin McDaniels at their wedding on
October 27, 2018. (I was the Maid of Honor!!)
Me with the new Hollie and Daniel Mayes at their
wedding on October 12, 2019. #PowerCOMple
I’ve witnessed a lot of heartbreak between the ages of 12 and 24, and I’ve lost weeks’ worth of sleep staying up consoling friends. (I wouldn’t have it any other way, so don’t try to stop me.) I’ve perfected every way of saying, “You deserve better,” and “You have so much worth even if you don’t have them.” When I was first introduced to true heartbreak, I was in 8th grade. My best friend had just been dumped by her sophomore boyfriend the week of their 2-month anniversary. She cried in the cafeteria. At first, when faced with breakups, I’d ask my parents to drive me and my friend to the mall for ice cream and window shopping. By high school, we were old enough to drive ourselves. In undergrad, sometimes a text or phone call was all we could manage because of distance; or, if it was one of my friends from undergrad, we’d stay up late into the night, watching movies and crying and hashing it all out in my dorm. With every breakup, though, my heart broke a little, too. I always want my friends to be happy; I don’t want to see them heartbroken; I want them to have that “happily ever after” (even though I took a fairytales class last fall, and I know that the original fairytales didn’t have the happy ending connotations that we think of today). But despite all of the pain I’ve witnessed first-hand, I still shrieked when one of my friends told me that she was seeing a guy and she wanted me to meet him. I’m still planning the housewarming gifts for my other two friends who moving in with their boyfriends this summer. I can’t seem to give up on love. I have too much hope.



That isn’t to say that I don’t have my moments of cynicism. There was a period of four days during my first semester of grad school where I didn’t believe in love. It was a rough four days, ask anyone. I can’t even tell you what sparked that episode, but it honestly felt like a core part of my personality was taken away. All I remember is that we were reading Philip Pullman’s The Amber Spyglass (2000) in class, and our professor asked us what we thought about the preteen protagonists’ declarations of love at the end of the book. And I said something to the effect of, “We might think it’s dramatic reading it as adults, but for a middle school audience, I think it’s fine. They’re still young and believe in love and that it can last.” Now, I don’t what it was—my words or my tone or my delivery—but the entire class laughed, and my professor (whom I have so so so much respect for as a person and a scholar) just blanched. Thankfully, a couple mornings later, I saw a couple holding hands on the sidewalk as I was driving to class, and I didn’t want to run them over with my car, so I knew I was “recovering.”

(Ignore the time stamp) This is me and some friends at my Sophomore Elite Night (Spring semi-formal) on May 12, 2012.
That was probably the worst I’ve ever been. I had periods in high school and undergrad when I felt down on myself for being single. (For instance, I’m still a little bitter that I was never asked to any high school dance. That really got to me. I always went with a group, and I had so much fun, but I was 14/15/16/17/18; I wanted to feel wanted. Then in undergrad, I kid you not, that, for three of my four years, there were 3 couples in our core group of 8 friends. I was 
literally always with at least one couple. [None of them are together anymore, by the way.]

Me with some very good friends at my Junior Elite Night on February 16, 2013.

(My dad used to tell me that boys were “intimidated by me.” Good. If they’re intimidated by me because I’m smart and opinionated and great at talking about my feelings, then they wouldn’t last a week with me anyway. I try not to think about how he and my mom stated dating my mom’s junior year of high school and how they were married by the time they were my age.)

Most of my core group of high school friends at my Senior Elite Night on February 22, 2014.

Then I got to grad school and I surrounded myself with more single people. They were my age and older, and they are some of the smartest, most talented and incredible people with incredible dreams and the work ethic to achieve them. I’ve gotten really comfortable being single these last two years, thanks to them. Because we took all the energy we would have put into a romantic relationship and we put it into each other, our schoolwork, and our friendship. We loved each other through the two most difficult years of my life to date. And, okay, we didn’t get a marriage out of our time together, but we got something that’s just as strong and will arguably last longer: friendship.

Dustin (one of the aforementioned smart, talented, hardworking, incredible, and single grad students) and I were talking about this the other day, how we, as a society, put so much pressure on romantic love. When you say, “I’m dating so-and-so,” everyone knows that there are only two ways that can end: marriage or a breakup. I’ve always thought of a romantic relationship as the beginning of something new and exciting, but, when you break it down like that, spending literally the rest of your life with someone or giving them the best of you and getting heartbroken are equally terrifying in different ways. I can see how thinking too much about that could mess with any relationship. When you make a new friend, though, there feel like so many more places that relationship could go. I guess if you get technical, it’s the same two possible endings: you’ll either be friends for the rest of your life, or you won’t be. But there feels like more ways that a friendship can end that aren’t as painful as most breakups. So many times, friends just grow apart because of time or distance, but that doesn’t even guarantee a definite end like a breakup implies. For instance, just recently, I reached out to a friend from high school who I had been really close to. I said something about Niall Horan’s Heartbreak Weather album, because I knew he was her favorite member of One Direction back in the day. And we started talking more than we have in years. It wasn’t anyone’s fault that we drifted apart—we went to different schools and moved to different cities and only saw each other in passing at church functions on holidays—but I wouldn’t say that we ever stopped being friends. Not like I would stop being someone’s girlfriend.

When you take pics like this, you'll probably be friends for a long time.

And I just want to know why.

Why do we expect so much out of romantic love?

I can’t lie. I want to fall in love so badly. As long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to fall in love and have a big winter wedding. (Remember all those Pinterest boards? Well, I also keep a running list of who I’d want my bridesmaids to be—you know, just in case that comes up.) I want to have 2-4 kids, whose names I’ve been thinking of since I was 12 and was convinced I’d be marrying Nick Jonas. (Cringey Katie moment: I was going to name our daughter Nicole Denise—Denise after his mom. A sweet sentiment, but such a boring name.) So, yes, “falling in love” is at the top of my bucket list. But, like I told a newly-single friend the other day, I’m not going to put my whole life on pause to wait for a boy to catch up with me. I have a lot of other things on my bucket list, too: get published in The Lion and the Unicorn and ChLA Quarterly, write a book, visit Europe, get a PhD, see a show on Broadway, go to a Taylor Swift concert (and probably more). When a man comes along who wants to do all that, too, then he’ll be welcomed into my life with open arms. To put it another way, I like YA fantasy, and in one of Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments books, Magnus Bane—the immortal warlock—comments about how mortals are like stars, burning bright for a short period of time. Whoever ends up with me better like sunshine, because I want to burn so bright.

Get you a group of friends who will form a Harry Potter trivia
team with you. (I love them even though we came in 2nd)
Clearly, I put just as much pressure on love as society tells me to. (I called it a "rebellion earlier; that's a pretty big deal.) I mean, as a teenager, I had “goals” of being married with kids by 25. At 15, those 10 years felt like plenty of time to “get my life together.” Now, writing this at 24, I’m laughing. Married with kids is not in the cards for me in the next 8 months. Sorry, Teenage Katie…but I think you’ll be pretty happy with what else you’ve accomplished.

Like I said, I’ve gotten comfortable with being single. If you asked me right now if I was happy, I’d say, “Yes. Very.” (Okay, maybe not right now, but, like, pre-quarantine. I was really happy the end of February/beginning of March.) I don’t want a relationship just to be in a relationship, and I don’t want a relationship with just anyone. When I do something, I put all my energy into it, and that, I’m sure, will include romantic love. (Just ask my friends how “extra” I am in our friendships.) And I want that reciprocated. I want to feel desired and wanted and loved and appreciated.

And I’ll get it. I know it. Because I see much love in all its forms every day. Sure, maybe only ~2% of couples I’ve known have gotten married, but the love I see in those 2% show me that I shouldn’t settle for anything less than that. I see love in my mom, who makes sure to call me at least once a day. I see it in my friends who are willing to move our weekly Zoom chat a day because I’m feeling shitty and depressed. I see it in the way my friend lights up when she’s just talking about her new boyfriend. I see the hope that the idea of love brings to everyone.

At the very beginning of this post, I asked what kind of person obsesses over love when there was so much pain and injustice in the world right now.

To answer my own question, a person who refuses to give up.

Maybe I’m naïve or unrealistic, but hope—and, specifically, a hope for more love—is what’s getting me to each tomorrow.

Hey, we all need something, don’t we?

May the odds be ever in our favor,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment